Sunday, April 21, 2013

Hopeless Wanderer

You heard my voice/I came out of the woods by choice/The shelter also gave the shade/But in the dark I have no name
So leave that click in my head/And I will remember the words that you said/Left a cloud in mind and a heavy heart/But I was sure we could see a new start
So when your hope's on fire/But you know you your desire/Don't hold a glass over the flame/Don't let your heart grow cold/I will call you by name/I will share your road
But hold me fast, hold me fast/'Cause I'm a hopeless wanderer/Hold me fast, hold me fast/'Cause I'm a hopeless wanderer
I wrestled long with my youth/We tried so hard to live in the truth/But do not tell me all is fine/When I lose my head I lose my spine
So leave that click in my head/And I will remember the words that you said/You brought me out from the cold/Now how I long, how I long to grow old
And I will learn, I will learn/To love the skies I'm under/The skies I'm under 


In high school I took a literature class on philosophy, which taught me the basics of several literary movements throughout history. I became attached to a certain movement, Transcendentalism, which taught that society and religion make people "bad," and that if man were to be separated from that, he would learn the truth about life, learning to cherish the essentials and put aside the rest--basically becoming "good" again. It took Henry David Thoreau and Ralph Waldo Emerson to literally move out into the woods to learn that, stripping away all luxuries and desires.

Throughout our lives we go into the woods once in a while, either by choice or by force. The most painful of course is when your comfort and what you know is stripped away from you, by surprise, and you unknowingly begin to live in the woods. At first, we scramble around trying to figure out how we got there. Sometimes the cause is known, and sometimes it's not; even when the cause is known, confusion is just as strong of an emotion as pain and loss. Little by little you learn to navigate yourself around the woods, yet remaining there because what you knew before is no longer there. For many, what was once there remains, but is no longer theirs to take back or go to.

No comments:

Post a Comment